Monday 11 March 2013

Fearless Females 2013: Day 11: Martha Randle and Johanna Murch


Did you have any female ancestors who died young?

Martha RANDLE (my maternal great great great grandmother) was christened 29 August 1802 at St Lawrence's church, Foleshill, Warwickshire, and married Adam BUCKINGHAM on 11 June 1821 in Astley, also in Warwickshire.  Why are they in a blog devoted to Devon and Cornwall?  Because they are my ancestors, that's why, and their line eventually wandered down to the West Country.

However, Martha died young, aged only 33, and was buried 7 June 1835.  She had already had five children, and the date of birth of the sixth, my ancestor Joseph, is also 1835.  I wonder if this birth was too much for her.  This reminds me of Johanna Murch HAYWOOD (my paternal great great grandmother), who was born 4 February 1844 and died on 17 December 1875 from exhaustion 8 days after the birth of her third child, Ernest.

Martha died before the beginning of civil registration, so there is no death certificate I can get from the General Register Office to show her cause of death.  Is there anywhere else I can look?



Once again, in honour of National Women’s History Month, Lisa Alzo of The Accidental Genealogist blog presents Fearless Females: 31 Blogging Prompts to Celebrate Women’s History Month.  I know this is really US-centric - but that's not going to stop me honouring my own Fearless Females...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright

You may NOT use the contents of this site for commercial purposes without explicit written permission from the author and blog owner. Commercial purposes includes blogs with ads and income generating features, and/or blogs or sites using feed content as a replacement for original content. Full content usage is not permitted.

You Might Also Be Interested In

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive