Monday 15 April 2013

A-Z Challenge 2013: M is for Mocavo

You may have heard of Mocavo, the great search engine for genealogists.  Why is it so special? you ask.  I'll tell you.  Ever searched for a surname and come up with some *really* unwanted results?  For instance, for this month's letter 'J' I wanted to talk about the occupation of Jagger.  So I searched for Jagger.  Oh dear.  Mick came up, and Bianca, and Jade - but also the song by Maroon 5, an article about the Rolling Stones' latest tour, Mick's style of parenting...and on it went.

Mocavo is different.  It searches ONLY genealogy sites.  It is especially good for North American genealogy sites - but I have noticed Australian sites, and even GenWestUK is in there! so its horizons are broadening.  Cliff Shaw, the creator of Mocavo, says:

"Mocavo.com has the capacity to index every single piece of free genealogy content found anywhere on the web, and will be growing by leaps and bounds in the coming months. We expect Mocavo.com to shortly offer all of the web’s free genealogy information, searchable and accessible to all – something that has never been done before. It’s set to become the go-to search engine for every family history enthusiast.”

There is a paid version (isn't there always?) which offers lots of tools as well as a basic genealogy search engine, and there is the capability to upload GEDCOMs and have it suggest ancestors to you, which makes it sound much more like a site.  But I haven't used these, so I cannot comment.  What I would suggest is that you head on over and take a look to see if you like it.

3 comments:

  1. That's really interesting! One day, I'd like to trace what I can of my whole family history. Should make for some fascinating research. I need to remember Mocavo for then. :-D

    My Writing Blog
    My Life Blog


    ReplyDelete
  2. Best wishes for your future research. You may find Mocavo very useful indeed! :o)

    ReplyDelete

Copyright

You may NOT use the contents of this site for commercial purposes without explicit written permission from the author and blog owner. Commercial purposes includes blogs with ads and income generating features, and/or blogs or sites using feed content as a replacement for original content. Full content usage is not permitted.

You Might Also Be Interested In

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive